Sunday, February 15, 2009

Memories from Margo Cook

Pat and Garfield served their first missions in West Germany at the same time. I met Pat when I attended a West German Mission Reunion with Garfield in 1965. She stood before the group and led us as we sang “Hark All Ye Nations” in German. Always mindful of others, Pat had passed out copies of the music and words and encouraged those of us who didn’t speak German to try and sing along. Her smile and enthusiasm made us believe we really could do it.

Following the speaker, Pat came and put her arms around me. We introduced ourselves and Pat welcomed me warmly. She made me feel as if we had always been friends. Pat had the incredible ability to convey her love to all of us. The opportunity to see and visit with Pat (and Kent) was one of the reasons Garfield and I looked forward to the reunions.


In 1995 I was called to the Primary General Board. I admit to feeling anxious and overwhelmed when I first walked into the Board room. But I was warmly welcomed by our presidency, Pat P., Anne and Susan. Just beyond them I saw Pat’s smiley face and open arms. She embraced me once again, this time as an old and dear friend. The time we served together was a blessing in my life.

Pat approached everything she did in life with faith, diligence, enthusiasm and joy. How I love her!

For 45 years now, Pat’s arms have welcomed me and encouraged me. I will miss her warm embrace. But I rejoice in knowing that because of her faithfulness and diligence she will be “encircled in the arms of (our Savior’s) love” (Doctrine and Covenants 6:20). And I look forward to that day when she will once again welcome me with open arms.


With my love,
Margo

No comments:

Post a Comment