Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Memories from Sydney Reynolds

In my first committee chairmanship assignment on the Primary Board in 1995 I was fortunate to have Pat on the committee. We had a meeting in Orem and Pat was, as usual, superbly prepared. As we discussed some small part of a presentation -- I can't even remember what it was now -- she gave some great ideas, but I didn't feel like it was what needed to happen. I brought it up rather tentatively -- after all she was the experienced one, she had professional expertise in this area, she also had very good ideas -- and she said, "Oh, that would be a good idea, let's try that." I couldn't believe it! I didn't have to argue, compete, or even debate. It was a revelation to me in how one could work in a committee.

As I got to know Pat better I found:
1) she had no ego that needed to interfere with accepting the ideas of others if they were worthwhile;
2) she was confident that the Lord would help us find the appropriate answers;
3) she gave confidence to others that their ideas were valuable;
4) she fostered unity and love;
5) her undeniable competence would be a guard against all sorts of errors.

Training with Pat was a joy -- she not only held up her end of the stick, she made others look good, too. She is always upbeat, positive, prepared and in tune with the Spirit of the Lord. And she looks to the small things, too -- I remember one local training trip (one of my very first), when three of us got in the car to go home and she handed out granola bars saying, "Here, that usually takes a lot of energy. Try this!" And none of us will ever forget the Christmas bells and the chance to make beautiful music together - even with limited skill!


Love you forever Pat!

Sister Sydney



Dear Pat (if possible), Kent, Sharon and all the Nielsens,


What an incredible wife, mother, mother-in-law you have! I knew of her by reputation before my time on the Primary Board and have loved her since our first meeting. To say she is one-in-a-million is to seriously underestimate. She has been a source of light, inspiration and good cheer to thousands—and I am glad and grateful to be counted among them. Our love and prayers are with you and we know the Lord is mindful of you all!


Love & admiration,


Sydney and Noel Reynolds


P.S. We’re so glad we were able to participate in the book you did for the anniversary!


No comments:

Post a Comment