Monday, February 16, 2009

Memories from Marilou Myers

What a joy it has been to associate with Pat Nielsen on the Primary General board. Pat’s reputation in the Provo area was one of goodness and excellence with music. I saw her occasionally standing in long lines at parent conferences since we had children attending Timpview High School at the same time. But it was while serving with her on the board that I got to know her heart and soul.

I was called to serve on the Primary General board in October. Pat and Ann Jamison offered to drive with me to my first board meeting in Salt Lake. They were anxious for me to learn the most efficient way of getting to the Relief Society Building. They hovered like mother hens directing my every turn as they shared with me all of the tricks of parking in the busy Church Office Building parking lot.

By December, I found myself on the committee with Pat to provide a program for the board Christmas party. We met and shared ideas then Pat wrote the script. It was beautiful! Pat’s emotions surfaced as she read the narration, telling again the miraculous story of the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ. The depth of her testimony was evident. We could feel it. Pat’s daughter Sharon played violin and my daughter Melissa played her harp. There were more beautiful words from Pat, then my husband Tom and our family sang. Pat had the whole group using her wonderful bells as we performed carols together. It was a sweet and deeply spiritual experience to be a part of that holiday program with Pat.


I was privileged to learn teaching techniques from her that effectively draw children in to the musical experience and help them feel rhythms and emotion from a piece. I observed her desire to polish and perfect her presentation at the General Conference open house workshops and I wanted to follow her example.


Years later long after we had all been released from the General Board, I was sobered when again on a trip to Salt Lake, in a car full of “board” sisters, Pat tenderly told us that the cancer had returned. Yes, she was taking treatment for it, but somehow, we all sensed that day, that our times together would be even more precious.


Pat and Kent were scheduled to speak to us at our annual Christmas party this year. Their topic: “The three most important lessons we have learned from life”. I would love to have heard their message. I know it would have touched my heart as did the first Christmas testimony I heard her share. How sorry I am that for the first time in ten years, the snow was so heavy that we had to cancel our annual Christmas party. Pat was quite ill that day, but she was still struggling to try to gather energy and come when I called to tell her the party was off.


I will miss Pat. We always shared a hug when we saw each other at Days neighborhood grocery store. She would enfold me in her generous embrace and cheer me with her sunny smile. There is a closeness that we feel with one another which never leaves with a release when we have labored long and hard to “get it right” in the service of our Father in Heaven. I know Heavenly Father blessed Pat abundantly with remarkable intellect, talent and testimony. He sent His loving and enlightening Spirit to bless our work because it was His work. It was a privilege to share that experience with her. Now it is Pat’s time to receive Our Father’s welcome greeting and be the one enfolded in His generous embrace. God bless you dear sister Pat.
With tender love,

Marilou Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment