Monday, February 16, 2009

Remarks from Kent Nielsen

Remarks given by Kent, at the funeral on February 14th, 2009

It’s a little difficult to speak after that song. It was one of Mom’s favorite songs and it reminded her of her mother and now we have a double remembrance. It’s good to be with you people on this happy occasion. Happy to celebrate the life of the greatest woman I ever knew.


Good to see Susan up there, leading with the appropriate hand like Pat would. She’s the next best thing I know to Pat to lead children singing. Pat taught with her for many years over at BYU. I think they taught the music department what to do about teaching teachers how to teach children. Vanya (Watkins), in the 35 years you three did a pretty good job over there.


It’s so good to have you here. It’s good to have all you friends. The kindness and the goodness you’ve shown to us and do show to us is tremendously appreciated.


I want to say a few words on this occasion to my family. The rest of you can listen. I think I can speak for Mom, too. We love you dearly. We’re so proud of you. The Lord gave me 41 years ago the greatest gift he could have ever given me. Actually, at a time when I was pretty far down, if any of you still remember those long years ago. They have been years of bliss and joy, what a gift! And the product of that gift is a marvelous family. She’s proud of you. I’m proud of you, children, grand-children, great grand-children. The one thing that can most honor her is to raise up a righteous posterity, generation after generation. And I have great confidence that you will do so. You’ve certainly got off to a good start, all of you.


I want you all to know what she knew and what I know. The Lord Jesus Christ, "the Lord God omnipotent, who was and is from all eternity to all eternity", as the angel told Benjamin -- He came down to the earth to be one of us, to go through mortality in every respect, every respect save that of committing sins. But then He at the end of His life took care of that one by taking on the sins of all of us. By coming to earth, by bearing those sins for us, by dying for us, and by rising gloriously from the dead, He brought about the gospel of Jesus Christ, that path which we can all follow. He took upon himself our lives upon the condition that we would accept Him, that we would give our lives to Him, and that empowers Him to fulfill the law of justice and the law of mercy. His promise to us is unbelievably boundless as He is the heir of all His Father has and is. So He has made it possible for us to be joint heirs with Him, with all that glory -- as families to live together forever as our Heavenly Father’s family lives together. He lives, He rose from the dead, He ascended into glory, He is there waiting for us, He is watching over us and He understands us. He loves us and knows our hearts and our thoughts and our problems and our weaknesses and our sins. He has compassion and power to be with us and bless us. I know this is true. I know that the same Lord Jesus Christ came with His Father in our dispensation, reopened the fullness of His gospel for the last and greatest time upon the earth, and began a work, the beginnings of which we are just beginning to see and appreciate and realize. The gospel of Jesus Christ is restored. The Holy Priesthood of God is among us. I’ve seen it, I’ve borne it, I’ve felt its power, and I know that it is true. I know it is a great blessing. I know we’ll all be resurrected, with glory and with our families together, and I look forward that time. Thanks for the chance to share my thoughts with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment